Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Part 5: I've got Wood!





I went shopping! I'm starting to become one of those nutbags who loves wood. But I think it's kinda justified when you look at the wood I bought. From Left to right:


Cocobolo (it just rolls off the tongue)
Ebony
Pau Fero (I have no idea how to say this one)
Kingswood (??? not sure - the name is abbreviated on the tag)


All of them except the Cocobolo look shiny because they were covered in a thick coat of wax when I bought them. All of them have been scrapped but the cocobolo is the only one to be sanded too. These wood blanks are intended for "turning" - a wood working hobby that requires turning pieces of wood at high speeds on a lathe to create pens, chess pieces, and other small objects du arte.

These guys just looked too good to be true and I have some ideas about how I'm going to use them for this project (and ones down the road).

My fabulous girlfriend is a quilter and one of the traits of being a quilter is that you end up building a stash of fabric over time (either because you see a fabric you like but don't need right now - or you end up with leftovers from a project).

...I was telling myself that I'm just building up a stash of wood for future projects when I bought all four pieces. I only plan to use one of these for the lapsteel.

...but which one?

No comments: